Thursday, March 15, 2012

Cultivate Your Talents



     The other day, Anderson discovered his harmonica behind the microwave.  I don’t know how Anderson's noisy instrument ended up way back there… it’s so odd.  He started to play and I plastered a smile on my face (Anderson is a great harmonica player- it's just so loud).  After a few songs, I encouraged him to play outside so the neighbors could enjoy his music also (insert sinister laugh).

     He took my suggestion very seriously.  He put on his harmonica-playing attire (see photo) and headed outside.  After playing up and down the sidewalk a few times, he started to knock on our neighbors’ doors to give them a personal performance.  Through my living room window, I noticed their plastered smiles and nods of approval (insert evil chuckle).


     We went to the park that afternoon.  Anderson brought his harmonica… and a jar.  I was torn between amusement and embarrassment as he settled himself on the edge of the playground to play for money.  This was one of those times when I had to stop myself from discouraging him simply because he was doing something that was out of my comfort zone.  I noticed quite a few chuckles being shared by the other parents at the park; he earned three dollars.  As you can imagine, he was quite thrilled. 


     He now has plans to play the harmonica for the school talent show… I will keep you updated.


1 comment:

Five Bloomin' Beauties said...

I love this! I would love to have Anderson play us a song over the phone or on skype. If you think you hate the "noise" now wait until they get in band and orchestra! Ha, ha! :)